Indiana University Bloomington Indiana University Bloomington IU Bloomington

Administrative Guide


  • Initiate order via Procurement Request (Want Sheet) online form.
    • You must enter account number and indicate a vendor.
    • If the vendor is not already registered in the buy.iu system, you must provide a written justification for the selection of the vendor (e.g., items not available in buy.iu or significantly better pricing).
  • The fastest way to complete an order is to enter the order yourself in buy.iu (IU login required) and assign the cart to a purchasing representative. For buy.iu training, please contact
  • Departmental credit carts (aka P-cards) cannot be used for routine purchases and a written justification for P-card purchases must be provided.
  • Questions? Contact and read the July 2021 purchasing update.


  • Travel forms are available online: . These can be completed electronically and emailed or printed. New forms are being developed.
  • Account number is required for all trips and can be changed later if needed (e.g., travel grants or other support awarded). Traveler and PI are obligated to acknowledge all sources of funding to avoid double reimbursement.
  • Travel pre-authorization should be done for all trips by email to This is particularly important to clarify travel expectations for students.
  • Questions? Contact


  • Department seminar information and regularly schedule times are available here:
  • Student seminars: contact Dalane about scheduling.
  • External seminar speakers:
    • Contact area coordinator and check department calendar before making invitation.
    • As soon as possible, send speaker name and affiliation and date/time of seminar to with cc to area coordinator to make sure the seminar gets on the department calendar. Also send title as soon as possible.
  • All seminars must be posted on department calendar:
  • More detailed guidelines are provided in the memo and SOP sent by the Chair on May 30, 2023.

Staff Contact Information

See the "Offices" pages at .

Detailed Administrative Information on a wide variety of topics is be found below.

Audio Visual Equipment

There are three campus-designated classrooms in Chemistry. In order to support these facilities, as well as other needs, a variety of audio visual equipment is available.  Overhead projectors are available upon request. Contact UITS Classroom Technology Services (; phone: 812-855-8765) for additional AV needs. See more information here.


Bicycles are not permitted in corridors, classrooms, or laboratories at any time.  There are bike racks outside of the Chemistry Building and limited indoor parking at the Ballantine Bike Hub nearby. See IU Bicycles for information on other locations and biking policies.

Bookstore Purchases

The IU Bookstore offers discounts and a state sales tax exemption on all authorized departmental purchases (excluding textbooks and computer software) made with an IU purchase order or purchasing card. Contact for more information on how to proceed.

Building Repairs and Maintenance

Chad Schaeffer is responsible for all Chemistry Building improvements, renovations, repairs, and janitorial requests.  Chad's office is in C115F; phone 812-855-2241.

Chemistry Building maintenance repairs should be submitted online through the Building Repairs Request Form or by email to  In case of an emergency, please contact Chad Schaeffer ( or 812-855-2241), Jon Karty ( or 812-855-4619), or the IU Facilities Operations Control Center at 812-855-8728.  For life safety or fire emergencies, call 911 first.

Simon Hall issues should be directed to Simon Hall Building Manager John Morrow, Simon Hall 003C, 812-856-4937.

Bulletin Board Usage/Display Cases

The department tries to maximize the value of the use of bulletin boards. Therefore, postings on the departmental bulletin boards are controlled by specific offices as listed below. This is necessary to keep them current and under some control. Posted material should have a date for removal affixed by the individual in charge of the posting.

Bulletin Board Supervisors:

  • Addition elevators — Seminar Coordinator (C115)
  • Chemistry Library — Jennifer Simms (C003)
  • Chemistry seminars — Seminar Coordinator (C115)
  • Ground Floor Bulletin Boards — Undergraduate Office (C021)
  • General announcements of seminars/symposia — Seminar Coordinator (C115)
  • Graduate Student Roster and AI assignments — Dalane Anderson (C021F)
  • Graduate Student opportunities and general information — Dalane Anderson (C021F)
  • Undergraduate job information and graduate school information — Becky Wilson (C021E)

Bulletin boards in the general vicinity of faculty offices are for the use of that faculty member.

Business Office Operations

Click here to go to the Business Office page.

Chair's Office

Click here to go to the Chair's Office page.

Child Safety

The Chemistry Building has many areas that are not safe for children. In order to reduce the possibilities for accidents involving children, the following policy is in effect: IU Minors in Hazardous Work Areas.  Faculty wishing to include minors as part of an educational program should contact and review the IU Programs Involving Children policy.

Computer Services and Support

Brian Crouch is the Director of Research Infrastructure for the College of Arts and Sciences and the Chemistry Information Technology Group (ITG); Gabriel Hare is the manager of the ITG.  For network issues, problems with systems located in administrative offices or research laboratories, or problems with departmental media resources please submit a support request (IU login required) and the appropriate person will reach out to you. Problems with computers within the Chemistry Library should be referred to the library staff. For other questions about information technology or if you are unclear as to who is responsible for a system in the building, contact ITG.  ITG offers support for Windows, MacOS, and Linux-based hardware.

All requests for network service, modifications, or other information should be directed to ITG.

Our Shared Resource Center in room C206 supports both Apple and Windows computers. The department provides routine and publication quality color printing on several different media and platforms. Large format output is provided as well. The ITG can assist users in gaining access to other university-supported facilities as well.  A second resource center for new graduate students is located in room 051 and has desktop computers and a printer.  Again, contact ITG for help with using these resources.

Advanced Technology Center clusters are available in many campus buildings.  A list of locations in Bloomington is here.

University Information Technology Services (UITS) provides extensive computer services for faculty, staff and students.  The primary point of contact for UITS is its website, which requires an IU login to access chat-based help.  They can also be called at 812-855-6789.  Walk-in support is offered on the 4th floor of the Wells Library.

Access to UITS services is based on a University Account which is obtained following these instructions. Once you have obtained your username and passphrase you may use any browser to obtain any of the services offered by UITS which require a login/password by connecting to the Accounts and Email Service web page.

Information about UITS services can be most easily obtained by using the UCS Knowledge Base accessible with a Web browser ( and performing a text search. Additional information is contained in the index of UITS publications.

Faculty and graduate students who are teaching may obtain additional support from the Chemistry Department Academic Office or ITG. Additional support is also available from Instructional Support Services, a service of IU Libraries.

Computer Software

The university has license agreements with many vendors for computer software including most major operating systems and office productivity software from Microsoft, Adobe, and other software vendors.  These are often available at no cost to IU faculty, students, and staff. See for the list of available software packages.  The university has other agreements, and in some cases the department has site licenses for some specialized software (ChemDraw and CrystalMaker for example). Check with the ITG for availability and information on special pricing on other software.

Computer Software Piracy

The department does not condone the copying of licensed software without explicit authorization, because copying may involve legal liabilities for the licensee (Indiana University) as well as the copier.

IU policy states, "Computing resources may not be used for illegal purposes. Examples of illegal purposes include...unauthorized copying of copyrighted material." IU policy further states, "Computing resources should be used in accordance with the high ethical standards of the University Community. Examples of unethical use follow; some may also be illegal...violation of software license agreements."  See this knowledge base entry for more details.  Everyone in Chemistry should be aware of the following:

  • Computer software is protected by the U.S. Copyright Act.
  • Unauthorized copying of software is illegal, even for educational purposes.
  • Copyright violations are a federal crime and penalties may include fines of as much as $250,000.00 and jail time.
  • IU policy violators are subject to discipline procedures and prosecution by state and federal authorities.
  • Software license restrictions vary dramatically among types of software, vendors, and products.

Copy Machine Usage

There are copy machines available in Duplicating, room A002.  The Library (room C002) also has copy machines, but copies made in the library count against one's IU Print allotment.

The federal copyright law applies to the use of department copy machines and Duplicating Service as well as other campus copy services. Failure to follow federal guidelines is a violation of federal law.  The IU Libraries have curarated a list resources on Fair Use in its Copyright Guide.The Center for Innovative Teaching and Learning at IUB has regular workshops and specifically discusses copyright issues in its Online Course Basics series.

For questions regarding copyright guidelines contact

Driving for Chemistry Business

University policy requires all persons driving to conduct University business have an approved Motor Vehicle Records check (MVR) on file.  Please see this memo for complete details. An approved MVR is required to receive reimbursement for driving costs while on sponsored travel or to use the Chemistry Department van.

Dry Ice

Available 24 hours per day for individuals with a key to the dry ice room (A031B). Any dry ice taken must be paid for with a valid, funded IU account and recorded on the log sheet in room A031B.

Duplicating Service

The department's Duplicating Service is located on the ground floor of the Chemistry Building adjacent to the library in room A002. Duplicating is available for self-service 24-7. If you'd like to take advantage of this, please request training from ITG at You can also download our Duplicating Handbook to get familiar with the process. Physical copies of this handbook are also available in the ITG Office (A003). If you would like ITG to prepare large sets of copies (e.g. exams, class notes), services are available weekdays 8am-12pm and 1-5pm.  Lead time requirements are 48-72 hours for exams and 24-48 hours for other jobs. Rush requests should be avoided if at all possible. On occasion, equipment will be down for repair or maintenance. For rush jobs during such periods, IU Document Services may be utilized; however, prior approval from the Director of Chemistry Business is required as IUDS charges for its services..

The following priorities are observed:

  1. Exams
  2. Grant Proposals
  3. Class Notes
  4. Department memoranda

A few notes to help keep things running smoothly:

  • Info about Duplicating can be found here.
  • Fill out the duplicating request form completely.
  • Job turnover time should be at least 1 business day, but do allow 2 business days for large quantity copying jobs.
  • Dark blue or black ink reproduces better.
  • Leave at least a half inch margin on all sides of the paper.
  • If you have any problems or questions, please ask ITG personnel.

Fax Services

IU provides a free Fax Service (accessible from to securely send and receive faxes as pdfs via email.

Academic Office

Click here to go to the Academic Office page.

Hourly Employment

There are a number of hourly employees hired throughout the year to support teaching and research. Work study students, followed by non-work study students, are often preferred candidates for hourly vacancies. Please contact to get the process started!


Chipped ice machines for research (not for human consumption) are located in the following places:

  • Corridor near C315
  • Inside room A327
  • Corridor near A617
  • Teaching lab prep corridor near C032
  • Teaching lab prep corridor near C146

The ice is intended for research and teaching laboratory experiments only. THIS ICE IS NOT FOR HUMAN CONSUMPTION.


Chemistry faculty, graduate students, and staff should use the key request form.  Undergraduates and those outside the Department should have the space's PI request a temporary key on their behalf using the same key request form. Any questions about keys may be directed to Chad Schaeffer (812-855-2241 or or Jonathan Karty (812-855-4619 or  Please report lost keys quickly to the Business Office.  There is no charge to replace lost keys.

Issuance of a key carries the following responsibilities:

  • I will not lend it to anyone else, will not use it to admit any unauthorized person and will not permit a duplicate to be made of it.
  • I will be sure that the door which it opens is securely latched again right after use.
  • If the key is lost, I will notify the Chemistry Business Office within 24 hours.
  • I will return the key before leaving the university or if called upon to do so.

Furthermore, all keys must be returned when leaving the Department.

Laboratory Accident/Injury Report

Call 911 to summon help for fires and serious injuries.

See the Department Injury Guide here for more information.  The flow chart there is excellent for quick reference with the most updated information.

Following an accident in a teaching or research laboratory in the Chemistry Building, an Environmental Health and Safety Report is required (found here). Please select "Lab Safety Question or Request" as the subject.  This form must be completed whether or not there are injuries.  Please contact Jon Karty at 812-855-4619 or John Morrow at 812-856-4937 if you have any infrastructure concerns arising from the accident or if fire extinguisher or chemical spill kit was used.

Non-employee injuries (including undergraduates not working for pay) should be documented on the INLOCC incident form.  Employee (faculty, staff, graduate student, post-doc) injuries must be reported on the Indiana University Occupational Injury-Illness Report form (see Worker’s Compensation) within 24 business hours of the incident.

Lactation Wellness Room

Room A702 is available for lactating individuals needing to pump and store their milk.  See Jon Karty (, 812-855-4619, C125F) or Chad Schaeffer (, 812-855-2241, C115) for a key.  The room can be scheduled using the form found here.  Please also inform Jon or Chad if any supplies need to be restocked or the room needs cleaning.


The IU Libraries’ Chemistry Collection is found in the Sciences Branch Library: room 002 of the Chemistry Building.  After hours access is available to faculty and graduate students with a valid Crimson Card.  More information about the services it offers is found here.

Liquid Nitrogen

Liquid nitrogen can be obtained from the dewars in the cage (A018) across from room near the Chemistry dock.  Any key to the Chemistry Building should open the cage.  All purchases MUST BE LOGGED on the attached clipboard in a legible manner with a valid, funded IU account number.  Clients from other buildings needing access should contact Chad Schaeffer ( or 812-855-2241) or Jonathan Karty ( or 812-855-4619) to obtain a key.

Lost and Found

Items found in the Chemistry Department should be turned in to the Academic Office in C021. For the convenience of the parties involved, the Academic Office will hold such items until the end of each month.


U.S. Mail and IU Campus mail are delivered each weekday to the Business Office. Letters are sorted and placed in the mailboxes, usually by 11:30 a.m. daily. ALL NON-CHEMISTRY RELATED MAIL SHOULD BE SENT TO YOUR RESIDENCE ADDRESS.

All out-going Chemistry business (non-personal) mail to be posted is to be delivered to the Business Office (C115). In the corridor just to the west of the entrance to C115 are four separate mail slots for all outgoing mail: U.S. mail to be metered, U.S. mail already metered or posted, Campus Mail, and Intradepartmental Mail. These mail slots are emptied daily. All outgoing U.S. mail must have the name of the sender and an account number to which the postage is to be charged (account must permit such charges, e.g. no NIH or NSF research grant accounts).

IU Campus Mail Services will not pick up personal mail. Personal mail can be mailed from the Indiana Memorial Union (IMU) or at one of the Bloomington area post offices.

The CAMPUS mailbox is for mail which is addressed to other IU departments.

The INTRADEPARTMENTAL mailbox is for mail going to personnel within Chemistry. The box is emptied several times a day and the material in it distributed. Staples should be used to connect sheets placed in the INTRADEPARTMENTAL box in order to make sure the material doesn't become separated accidentally. The person or office to which the material is directed should be clearly indicated.

When special delivery letters are received, the addressee will be notified by email if possible. Otherwise, these items will be placed in the mailbox of the recipient.

UPS and FedEx packages arrive in the loading area. Package recipients will receive an email indicating they may pick up their parcels.  Please be advised that Chemistry Stores closes at 4:00.

For mail requiring special handling, FedEx shipments can be taken to the Scientific Storeroom (A031) for handling and fees are charged directly to a researcher's account. Additionally, The UPS Store, located in the IMU, can process mail through the U.S. Postal Service (including Priority Mail), UPS (ground or overnight). The IMU UPS Store is open 8:00 to 4:00 Monday through Friday.

Mailbox Assignment

Administrative office and technical service mailboxes are located just inside the entrance to the Business Office. Graduate students, post-docs, and faculty members are assigned individual mailboxes. These are located in the corridor outside the Business Office (C115). If you experience problems with your lock, please contact Chad Schaeffer (812-855-2241) or Jonathan Karty (812-855-4619).

Office Supplies

Most office supplies can be purchased from the IU Scientific Store with branches in the Chemistry A031 and Biology A003. For items not available in the Scientific Store, a want sheet can be submitted to for purchase through BUY.IU.

Out of Pocket Expenses

If requesting reimbursement for out-of-pocket expense, a detailed, itemized receipts of the expenses to be reimbursed should be sent to for processing.  It is strongly suggested that all such purchases be vetted by Purchasing staff prior to making them as IU does not guarantee reimbursement for non-compliant purchases.

Parking and Decal Information

Bicycles, motor scooters, motorcycles and automobiles must be parked in designated areas on the Bloomington campus.  The Atwater and Henderson garages are closest for EM-P permit holders or those wishing to pay by the hour; lot 440 at 914 E. 3rd St. as well as lots 426 and 428 between Woodlawn, Fess, and Atwater Streets are the closest EM-S parking areas (map).  There are a limited number of handicapped spots available adjacent to Owen Hall, but those require an IU Handicapped permit to use.  Motor scooters and motorcycles may not be parked in spaces designated for bicycles. Permits (EM-P, EM-S, etc) can be purchased at this website.  Visitors to the department can pay to park at either garage or in the Union lot.  No vehicles of any type (bikes, scooters, etc.) should be parked within or near Chemistry entrances or the courtyard adjacent to the Chemistry tower entrance/Harry Day Lecture Hall. Vehicles parked improperly will be ticketed and/or removed by Parking Operations or the IU Police Department.

Indiana University Bloomington Campus Driving and Parking Regulations determine decal eligibility. Information is available at the IU Parking Operations website (

Procurement Request

A detailed purchasing standard operation procedure may be found here.  Click here for the online Procurement Request form.  One may also assign a buy.iu cart directly to one of our purchasing reps to make the process even more efficient.

Paycheck Schedules

There are several paycheck issuing schedules followed by Indiana University (see schedules at


Pets are not allowed in the Chemistry Building or Simon Hall. Service animals are permitted in classrooms and offices in a manner consistent with the IU Animals in Buildings policy.

Radioactive Materials and Badges

The specific procedures and regulations whereby radioactive materials may be purchased, used, and disposed of, are determined by the Campus Radiation Safety Office at 812-856-2712 or They can also give you information about training required prior to working with radioactive materials. A more complete guide to radiation safety and health physics at IUB may be found here.


To request the purchase of items not carried in the Chemistry Store, a Procurement Form must be filled out and submitted on the Chemistry website. The procurement form will route to and the order will be placed in BUY.IU. For “Return orders” please list if it is necessary to return any item that was purchased via BUY.IU or department p-card, contact immediately. A Chemistry purchasing representative will handle the return.  A guide to many other purchasing-related procedures (capital purchases, procuring software, getting a reimbursement, etc.) may be found here.

Room Reservations

There are seven meeting rooms available for Chemistry use: A051 (multi-purpose room), C127 (Faculty Lounge), C225 (the Physical Chemistry Conference Room), C311, A300, A400 (Graduate Lecture Rooms), and A500 (the Biochemistry Conference Room).  Additionally there are three large classrooms in the Chemistry Building: C001 (capacity 99), C033 (capacity 130) and C122 (capacity 350) maintained by the Registrar and Classroom Technologies. All reservations for these meeting rooms and classrooms, regardless of purpose, should be made through the Academic Office (

View room details here.

Scientific Stores

The Chemistry Scientific Store is located on the ground floor in room A031. When purchasing items from the Chemistry Store, a valid and funded IU account number is required at the time of purchase.

Security and Theft

The only way to maintain security is through the use of locks and controlled issuance of keys to the locked areas. Laboratories and offices should be kept locked except when someone is present. Purses, radios, books, calculators and other valuable items have been stolen, because individuals have carelessly left laboratories and offices unlocked.

All regularly appointed graduate students, postdocs, and staff will be issued keys to their assigned laboratories or offices. When leaving any research area, do not assume the door will close tightly. Check to be certain it is closed and locked. Do not borrow equipment from departmental or private research areas or shops without consent of the supervisor or controller.

Some shared spaces may be accessed by Crimson Card.  Please see Chad Schaeffer (C115,, 812-855-2241) or Jon Karty (C125F,, 812-855-4619) if you have any questions about security.

Supplies and Purchases (General)

The Chemistry Scientific Store carries lab and office supplies, as well as commonly used chemicals. Items carried in the Chemistry Store should be purchased from the store. All other supplies must be requested via the procurement form on the Chemistry website.  See or the procurement guide for more details.


The Chemistry Building contains a large network of telephones, including at least one red telephone in the corridor of all floors, primarily intended for emergency use.

International long distance and directory assistance calls must be placed using a billing number. Toll free numbers, calling card calls and collect calls can be made directly without use of this billing number. Long distance billing numbers are assigned by Communications Services/UITS through the following form (IU login required). Be sure phone charges are allowed on the account specified in the request.  Graduate students and postdocs must get approval, as well as an account number, from their faculty advisors. If it is necessary to make a personal call from a university telephone, it should be billed to your personal calling card.

Data jacks are handled by ITG and should include the jack ID number (available on the wall plate) and an account number.

Repairs, additional services or changes in existing services can be requested through ITG using a job ticket.

Offboarding/Termination Procedure

Whenever a staff member, graduate student, or postdoc terminates his/her official relationship with the Chemistry Department, a termination procedure should be followed. Please contact to start the process.

  • Researchers should clean up equipment and work areas to the satisfaction of their research supervisor.
  • Excess chemicals should donated to colleagues or disposed of by Environmental Health and Safety (pickup request form here).
  • All Library books must be returned.
  • All teaching material on loan from the Undergraduate Office must be returned.
  • Confirm the status of your appointment and last paycheck with Human Resources (
  • All building keys must be returned and a forwarding address provided.
  • Additional procedures (securing research data, etc.) may be required by individual research groups.  Consult with your supervisor before leaving.

Union Representation

All support staff (formerly clerical and technical employees) at Indiana University are represented by CWA (Communications Workers of America Local 4818).  Please see their website for more details.

Chemistry Van Use

Chemistry has a 12' panel van that can by faculty, graduate students, and staff for Departmental business.  Please reserve a time slot here and see Jon Karty ( or 812-855-4619) to check out the keys.  Note, all van users must have an approved Motor Vehicle Records check on file (see memo for details).

Worker's Compensation

Worker's Compensation is determined by state law and is intended as a protection for IU employees. The law states that an injury or illness must arise out of and in the course of employment. Anyone injured on the job is covered, without regard to who is at fault. All IU employees who receive a pay check are eligible for coverage, including payment of medical expenses and part of lost wages (if applicable). This does not cover undergraduate students injured in a lab class - see Laboratory Accident Report.

Consult the Chemistry Injury Response Flow Chart for guidance on handling lab injuries.

All on-the-job injuries must be reported expeditiously in order to preserve eligibility for reimbursement and permit investigation of injuries as appropriate. It is essential that the Chemistry Injury Guide is followed.

Report any on-the-job injury to your supervisor as soon as possible, even though you may not think you need immediate medical attention.

An Occupational Injury/Illness Report form must be within 8 working hours.