The Department of Chemistry (CHEM) offers bachelor’s degrees in chemistry and biochemistry. To enter one of the programs, students should have completed a minimum of two years of high school algebra, one-half year of trigonometry, one year each of physics and chemistry, and three or four years of a modern foreign language. Enrollments in some courses may be limited to students with a grade of a C– or higher in the prerequisite chemistry courses.
Well-qualified students who wish to acquire an unusually strong foundation in chemistry might be interested in the Chemistry Honors Program.
Although every attempt has been made to ensure the accuracy of the degree information posted below, the official source of information regarding College of Arts and Sciences degree requirements is the College of Arts and Sciences website and printed bulletins.
For students entering Summer 2013 and later:
For students who matriculated to IUB prior to Summer 2013, consult your academic advisor, Academic Advising Report, and/or the appropriate College Bulletin for your specific degree requirements.
- Bachelor of Arts in Chemistry
- Bachelor of Science in Chemistry
- Bachelor of Arts in Biochemistry
- Bachelor of Science in Biochemistry
The Department of Chemistry (CHEM) offers minors in chemistry to complement other majors and degrees offered by the College of Arts and Sciences. These requirements are based on those in the College of Arts and Sciences Bulletin for students entering Fall 2006 and thereafter. Although every attempt has been made to ensure the accuracy of the degree information posted below, the official source of information regarding College of Arts and Sciences degree requirements is the College of Arts and Sciences website and printed bulletins.
- Required Courses:
- C117 - Principles of Chemistry and Biochemistry I
- C127 - Principles of Chemistry and Biochemistry I Lab
- C341- Organic Chemistry Lecture I
- Select 9 hours of electives chosen from the following:
- A314 - Biological and Environmental Chemical Analysis
- C317 – Equilibria and Electrochemistry
- C318 – Spectrochemistry and Separations
- C342 - Organic Chemistry II Lecture
- C360 - Introductory Physical Chemistry
- C361 - Physical Chemistry of Bulk Matter
- C362 - Physical Chemistry of Molecules
- C416 - Surface Analysis/Chemistry
- C420 - Advanced & Nanoscale Materials
- C430 - Inorganic Chemistry
- C432 - Inorganic Spectroscopy
- C443 - Organic Spectroscopy
- C446 - Organic Chemistry III
- C460 - Nuclear Chemistry
- C481 - Physical Biochemistry
- C483 - Biological Chemistry
- C484 - Biomolecules and Catabolism
- C485 - Biosynthesis and Physiology
- B486 - Gene Expression and Physiology
- N330 - Intermediate Inorganic Chemistry
- 12 of the 17 credit hours must be taken on the IUB campus
- A minor GPA of 2.0 is required with no course grade lower than a C-
- To apply: http://calmweb.chem.indiana.edu/chemminor/