- Complete the online application.
- A 300-500 word Personal Statement regarding your current goals, plans for your professional career, and reasons for selecting a field of study. This can be uploaded when applying online.
- The general section of the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) is required. At this time the subject section of the Graduate Record Examination is not required, however if time permits we do suggest that you take this exam.
- Official Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) score report. A minimum score of 600 on the paper test, 250 on the computer test, or 100 on the internet based test is required. We will also accept the IELTS (International English Language Testing System) score report. A minimum of 7 is required for this exam.
- Three letters of recommendation from individuals familiar with your ability to do scholarly work. NOTE: If you are transferring from another US institution, two letters must come from the current US institution. One additional letter must come from your research advisor. No exceptions will be made. If you cannot provide the required references, your application will not be considered.
- Official and complete academic records from each institution attended.You must send one set of your documents in the original language and one set of the documents translated into English.See pages 5-6 of the International Graduate Application for Admission booklet for more information on the documents required.
- A list stating your teaching, research, and/or industrial experiences; a publications list, if available; and any college or professional honors and awards. You may attach a resume if you like. Be sure to include your name on any attachments.
- Application fee of US $65.00. You will pay this fee at the time you submit your online application. No fee waivers are granted.
- Evidence of financial support, such as a letter from your bank, if you indicate that you can attend without financial support or with only partial support.
- Make a photocopy of all supporting documents you submit. Staple or clip this set of materials together and submit them along with the originals. An application without the necessary copies of all supporting documents will be considered incomplete.
Complete the online application, then send all supporting materials to:
Department of Chemistry
Chemistry Building Room C121
800 E Kirkwood Avenue
Bloomington, IN 47405-7102
Phone: (812) 855-2069; (800) 227-2158 (US only)
Fax: (812) 855-8300
We will process your application only after the online application has been submitted and supporting materials are received. Online international student applications must be submitted no later than December 1. All supporting documents must be received by the Graduate Office no later than December 14 in order for your application to be considered for fall admissions. This is due to stringent document processing deadlines.
All non-native English speakers who wish to be considered for financial aid of any type must demonstrate sufficient English proficiency by earning a score of at least 600 (paper test) or 250 (computer test) on the TOEFL.
To be eligible for a teaching assistantship, it is imperative that international students whose native language is not English demonstrate competency in written and spoken English.Therefore, we strongly recommend that you take the Test of Spoken English (TSE) examination as well as the TOEFL.
Each year, the Chemistry Department is able to offer financial aid in the form of a tuition remission and monthly stipend to several international students.Students earn their financial aid by serving as either teaching or research assistants. Competition for these packages is extremely fierce and excellent spoken English skills are essential.In a typical year, only a few applicants from a pool of 200-300 international students receive financial aid. If you are admitted to the program, your acceptance letter will describe in detail any financial award the department is able to make.
Office of International Admissions
The Office of International Admissions also provides information on the application process for international graduate students.This advice will assist you greatly in the application process.