Frequently Asked Questions

What is the deadline for submitting an application?

Online domestic applicants who wish to be considered for university fellowships must submit all application materials before December 15.

Online international applicats who wish to be considered for university fellowships must submit all application materials before December 1. 

>>Back to Top

Do I need to submit a separate application for financial aid?

No separate application for financial aid is necessary for financial support from Indiana University. Successful applicants can expect to receive a financial support package, which typically includes a stipend for living expenses, health insurance, and a full tuition scholarship.

>>Back to Top

What are your Institution and Department Codes for sending my GRE scores to the IU Chemistry Department?

GRE - Institution Code: 1324, Departmental Code: 0301

TOEFL - Institution Code:  1324, Departmental Code:  62

>>Back to Top

When will I find out if I have been admitted?

The Admissions Committee continuously reviews applications during the late fall, winter, and early spring. All decisions will be made no later than April 15th.

>>Back to Top

Can I apply to start the program in the spring rather than the fall?

No. Except under extenuating circumstances, we do not accept applications for spring admission. There are two main reasons for this: (1) We hold a comprehensive orientation program during the week before Fall Semester begins that is required prior to entry into the program. In addition to this orientation, all international students whose native language is not English are required to attend a 2-week Associate Instructor training course prior to beginning their studies. This course is only held during the beginning of August each year. (2) All incoming students must attend talks by all of the faculty (given in early September) in partial fulfillment of the C500-Introduction to Research course requirements. This requirement is an important part of your C500 course and is not likely to be waived.

If you have been admitted for Fall Semester and would like to come early, you are more than welcome to come during the spring or summer to work in a faculty member's lab. You will need to find a faculty member who is interested in taking you into his/her lab until Fall Semester begins and is able to support you. Keep in mind that you cannot officially commit to joining any group until after you have completed the initial C500 faculty review process.

>>Back to Top

If I am admitted and then decide that I would like to take a year off, can I defer my start date until the following fall?

Yes. After you have been admitted, if you would like to defer your admission, please contact the Graduate Office with your decision.

>>Back to Top

How do I accept or decline an offer of admission?

We ask that you notify our Chemistry Graduate Office via email as soon as you have made your decision.  Send that email to

>>Back to Top

What are considered TOEFL and GRE score minimums?

In conjunction with College of Arts and Sciences' Graduate School, minimum scores for the TOEFL and IELTS tests are:

 Also, in conjunction with the College of Arts and Sciences’ Graduate School, a minimum score of at least 151 on the verbal section, 150 on the quantitative section, or a score of at least 4.5 on the analytical writing section is highly desirable. GRE scores must be submitted via ETS in order to be official.


Please be aware that the College of Arts and Sciences will only accept GRE scores that are official and sent via ETS. We will no longer be able to accept copies of these scores. 


>>Back to Top

How can I get more information about the admission process or program?

Please feel free to contact our Chemistry Graduate Office for additional information:
Tel: 800-227-2158 (US only); 812-855-2069
Fax: 812-855-8385

>>Back to Top