The Chemistry Requisitioning Office/Storeroom maintains a stock of commonly used chemicals and laboratory supplies required for teaching laboratories and research. They also provide information regarding the university's procurement policies and procedures. The office is located in the south wing of the ground floor in the A031 complex. The general information phone number is 855-9572.
To obtain materials from the Storeroom, the purchaser must use a credit card. An "Authorization for Issuance of a Department of Chemistry Credit Card" can be obtained from the Storeroom office. Items carried and units of quantity available are listed in the Chemistry Stores Catalog. Access the Storeroom Supplies Order Form here.
In order to initiate a request for a purchase for items not carried in Chemistry Scientific Stores or elsewhere on campus, a "Want Sheet" must be prepared and submitted to the Requisitioning Office (A025). Some important points in connection with filling out the Want Sheet are listed here:
- Write legibly and provide complete information.
- Be sure the Fund (account number) is correct.
- Be sure the name and address of the "Suggested Source" are accurate and complete.
- Be specific about catalog number, package size and number of packages, e.g., "5 bottles, 100g/bottle" or "5 x 100 grams" unless you really don't care what size container(s) you get.
- Equipment specifications should be the same as those used in the literature for the "preferred" or "suggested" source. In case it is necessary to obtain quotations from other sources, this indicates more closely your preference. For chemicals, one should indicate C.P., Reagent Grade, ACS Specifications, Technical, etc., even though the suggested source does not indicate such. If no substitution may be allowed on supplies, indicate so.
- Be sure to indicate if a specific delivery date or special shipping is required.
Automated purchase orders (APO's) are used for essentially all purchases under $1000.00. APOs enable orders to be faxed or phoned in the day they are submitted. This expedites the arrival of merchandise. There are several restricted items, which when purchased (regardless of price) must be processed through IU Purchasing. Contact Amy Van Pelt for further information.
Equipment purchases are initiated by providing a complete description and specifications to the Requisitioning Office, utilizing a Chemistry Want Sheet. It is important that the Requisitioning Office be informed at the beginning of any inquiry for the purchase of equipment. Only quotations obtained by an IU Purchasing agent can be used for vendor selection to purchase equipment. Following proper quotation procedures will expedite the ordering process and ensure best possible cost savings. It will also prevent duplicate efforts by the vendors and IU personnel. Purchase orders can only be placed by the IU Purchasing Department.