Indiana University Bloomington Indiana University Bloomington IU Bloomington

Administrative Guide

Audio Visual Equipment

There are three campus-designated classrooms in Chemistry. In order to support these facilities, as well as other needs, a variety of audio visual equipment is available. Slide projectors are provided in two of the three classrooms (C033 and C122). Overhead projectors are available in all three classrooms (C001, C033, and C122), as well as in meeting rooms C127, C225, C311, A300, A400, and A500. Contact UITS Classroom Technology Services (; phone: 855-8765) for additional AV needs. Replacement bulbs are stocked in the Business Office for 35mm slide projectors and overhead projectors. See more information here.


Bicycles are not permitted in corridors, classrooms, or laboratories at any time. See IU Bicycles for all other areas.

Bookstore Purchases

The IU Bookstore (Barnes & Noble) offers a 20% discount and state sales tax exemption on all authorized departmental purchases (excluding textbooks and computer software) made with an IU purchase order or purchasing card. See Susie Dumond in Requisitioning (C115) for more information on how to proceed.

Barnes & Noble also offers academic and staff employees, retirees, and graduate assistants a 10% discount on all merchandise, except adopted textbooks, special orders, sale books, class and alumni rings, computer software, periodicals, discounted merchandise, computer hardware, stamps, health and beauty aids, food snacks, and beverages. You must present for IU ID card to receive this discount. Sales tax will be charged.

Building Repairs and Maintenance

Matt Kovach, the Facility Engineer and Building Manager, is responsible for all Chemistry Building improvements, renovations, repairs, and janitorial requests. His office is located in the Business Office (C115). Simon Hall issues should be directed to John Morrow.

Building maintenance repairs may be submitted online through the Building Repairs Request Form or emailed at Matt may also be reached at 5-2241. In a building emergency where prompt response is required, please call. If Matt cannot be reached, call the IU Facilities Operations Dispatch at 5-8728. For life safety or fire emergencies, call 911 first.

Bulletin Board Usage/Display Cases

The department tries to maximize the value of the use of bulletin boards. Therefore, postings on the departmental bulletin boards are controlled by specific offices as listed below. This is necessary to keep them current and under some control. Posted material should have a date for removal affixed by the individual in charge of the posting.

Bulletin Board Supervisors:

  • Addition elevators — Office Assistant (C115)
  • Chemistry Library — Roger Beckman (C003)
  • Chemistry seminars — Office Assistant (C115)
  • Ground Floor Bulletin Boards — Undergraduate Office (C021)
  • General announcements of seminars/symposia — Office Assistant (C115)
  • Graduate Student Roster and AI assignments — Dalane Anderson (C131)
  • Graduate Student opportunities and general information — Toni Lady (C121)
  • Storeroom — Jackie Drake(A031)
  • Undergraduate job information and graduate school information — Emily Maddern-Deckard (C021)

Bulletin boards in the general vicinity of faculty offices are for the use of that faculty member.

Business Office Operations

Click here to go to the Business Office website.

Chair’s Office

Click here to go to the Chair’s Office website.

Check Out Forms

This form is available in the Business Office. All graduate students and postdoctoral fellows should complete this check out form prior to leaving the department. See Termination Procedure within this guide for the steps involved.

Chemical Notations

Chem Notes is a newsletter published weekly during the school year and periodically during the summer. It is distributed to faculty, postdocs, staff, and graduate students. The deadline for submitting items to appear on Monday is noon on the previous Thursday. Chem Notes is edited by Judi Roberts (C125, 5-2268).

Child Safety

The Chemistry Building has many areas that are not safe for children who are unsupervised. In order to reduce the liability for accidents involving children, the following policy is in effect: IU Minors in Hazardous Work Areas.

Computer Services and Support

Responsibilities are shared between several different administrative areas of the department. Brian Crouch is the Manager of the Information Technology Group (ITG). Problems with systems located in most administrative offices in the department should be directed to ITG. Problems with UNIX systems should be directed to Steve Creps. Network issues and problems with workstations in research laboratories should be directed to Brian Crouch, Manager of Information Technology. Problems with departmental media resources should be directed to Danny McMurray, Web Design and Media Specialist. Problems with computers within the Chemistry Library should be referred to the library staff. For other problems with information technology or if you are unclear as to who is responsible for a system in the building, contact Brian Crouch.

Computer networks within the building normally consist of a simple twisted pair connection to a data jack maintained by the University Information Technology Services (UITS). Maintenance responsibility for the network depends on where the hardware failure has occurred (both departmental and university equipment are involved). All requests for network service, modifications, or other information should be directed to Brian Crouch. He will direct you to the proper contact person for networking problems which do not fall under their jurisdiction.

Our Shared Resource Center supports peripherals such as scanners, film recorders, and a projector which are supported on both the Apple and Intel platform. The department provides routine and publication quality color printing on several different media and platforms. Large format output is provided as well. The ITG can assist users in gaining access to other university-supported facilities as well.

Advanced Technology Center clusters are available in Ballantine Hall, Lindley Hall, and several other campus buildings.

University Information Technology Services (UITS) provides extensive computer services for faculty, staff and students. The UITS Support Center in the Indiana Memorial Union (IMU084) is the primary contact point for obtaining assistance from UITS.

Access to UITS services is based on a network ID which is obtained from the Support Center, in person (IU ID required). Once you have obtained your “network ID” you may use any Web/WWW client (available in any UITS Public Facilities cluster, C046, C006, C003 (Chemistry Library), or lynx on UCS UNIX systems) to obtain any of the services described below which require a login/password by connecting to the Account Management Service and following instructions.

Information about UITS services can be most easily obtained by using the UCS Knowledge Base accessible with a Web browser ( and performing a text search. Additional information is contained in the index of UITS publications.

Because the campus computing environment is always changing, the best source for information on any of the university owned facilities is to consult their web pages at

The Halls of Residence operate their own facilities in some buildings, and some of the dorms are connected to the campus network via Ethernet.If you live in university housing, check with your housing manager for information.

Graduate students who are teaching at IU may obtain additional support from the Chemistry Department through the Manager of Instructional Computing. Additional support is also available from Instructional Support Services (5-0457, email to

Computer Software

The university has license agreements with many vendors for computer software including most major operating systems and office productivity software from Microsoft and Corel. Although the terms of these agreements are generally very favorable, you should be aware of any and all restrictions that apply. For software on departmental systems, contact the ITG for advice and installation procedures. For personal systems, you can obtain many of the major products through the IU Bookstore.

In addition to the major agreements with Microsoft and Corel, the university has other agreements, and in some cases the department has site licenses for some specialized software (ChemDraw and LabView for example). Check with the ITG for availability and information on special pricing on other software.

Computer Software Piracy

The department does not condone the copying of licensed software without explicit authorization, because copying may involve legal liabilities for the licensee (Indiana University) as well as the copier.

IU policy states, “Computing resources may not be used for illegal purposes. Examples of illegal purposes include…unauthorized copying of copyrighted material.” IU policy further states, “Computing resources should be used in accordance with the high ethical standards of the University Community. Examples of unethical use follow; some may also be illegal…violation of software license agreements.”

Everyone in Chemistry should be aware of the following:

  • Computer software is protected by the U.S. Copyright Act.
  • Unauthorized copying of software is illegal, even for educational purposes.
  • Copyright violations are a federal crime and penalties may include fines of as much as $100,000.00 and jail terms up to 5 years.
  • IU policy violators are subject to discipline procedures and prosecution by state and federal authorities.
  • Software license restrictions vary dramatically among types of software, vendors, and products.

Copy Machine Usage

There are five copy machines available for general use in the department: four are in the Library and one is in the Business Office. Copycards or coins can be used for the Library machines, copycards only for the Business Office machine. A copycard is a debit card and is charged to a departmental account. These copycards with fixed dollar amounts can be used elsewhere on campus. (It is more economical to use Duplicating Services when 15 or more copies of each original are needed.) Copycards may be purchased by contacting the Office Assistant in the Business Office; copycards for personal use can be purchased with cash at Copies and More at the IMU. In addition to the above machines, the copy machine in the Instructional Support Office (ISO) may be used for copying materials related to undergraduate courses. This machine requires a code (available from ISO personnel) and is available during ISO office hours.

The federal copyright law applies to the use of department copy machines and Duplicating Service as well as other campus copy services. Failure to follow federal guidelines is a violation of federal law.

  • A single copy can be made for use by a teacher for scholarly research or use in teaching preparation: a chapter from a book; an article from a periodical or newspaper; a short story or essay; a chart, graph, diagram, drawing, cartoon or picture from a book, periodical or newspaper.
  • Multiple copies for classroom use may be made if the number of copies does not exceed one copy per student enrolled in the course, as long as copying meets the “brevity” test and the “spontaneity” test.
  • Definition of “brevity”: a complete article, story or essay of less than 2,500 words; an excerpt from any work of not more than 1,000 words or 10 percent of the work (whichever is less – but a minimum of 500 words).
  • Definition of spontaneity: copying is at the “instance” and “inspiration” of the individual teacher, and the decision to use the work and the moment of its use for maximum effectiveness is so close in time that it would be unreasonable to expect a timely reply to request permission from the publisher.
  • Cumulative effect: the copy can only be for one course; no more than one article or two excerpts by the same author, and no more than three excerpts from a periodical during a semester; no more than nine instances of multiple copying for a course during a semester.
  • Prohibitions: copying is NOT permitted in any context for the following purposes: to create or replace/substitute compilations or collective works; material “consumed” during the course of studying or teaching (workbooks, exercises, tests, test booklets and answer sheets); substitute for the purchase of books, reprints or periodicals; repeated semester after semester.
  • American Chemical Society reprints can be reproduced by the author, because the form submitted with the article to the publisher authorizes such copying. Other journal publishers may not give this latitude.

For questions regarding copyright guidelines contact

Dry Ice

Available at Chemistry Scientific Stores, dry ice can be purchased during normal working hours.

Duplicating Service

The Duplicating Service is located on the ground floor of the Chemistry Building directly below the tower (C051). Services are available weekdays 8am-12pm and 1-5pm; however jobs should only be submitted between 8:20am and 4:30pm. Lead time requirements are 48-72 hours for exams and 24-48 hours for other jobs. Rush requests should be avoided if at all possible. On occasion, equipment will be down for repair or maintenance. For rush jobs during such periods, the campus MAXI Service may be utilized (5-2727); however, prior approval from the Director of Chemistry Business is required.

The following priorities are observed:

  1. Exams
  2. Grant Proposals
  3. Class Notes
  4. Department memoranda

A few notes to help keep things running smoothly:

  • Fill out the duplicating request form completely.
  • Job turnover time should be at least 1 business day, but do allow 2 business days for large quantity copying jobs.
  • Dark blue or black ink reproduces better.
  • Leave at least a half inch margin on all sides of the paper.
  • If you have any problems or questions, please see duplicating operator or call 5-8980.

Facsimile Transmissions

The Department has two facsimile machines for general department business use, one in the Business Office (C115, tel. 855-8300) and one in the Library (C003, tel. 855-6611). All incoming faxes should be directed to the Business Office fax, (812) 855-8300, and will be placed in the recipient’s mailbox. To send a facsimile message, a long distance billing number is required (this is the same number used for routine long distance telephone calls).

Fume Hood Operation

Fume hoods in all research laboratories, except the walk-in type, have air velocity hood controllers which maintain airflow across the sash at preset safe levels. They are designed to provide a safe environment for all lab personnel, both those who are performing experiments in the hood and others in the lab space. The IU Environmental Health and Safety department annually tests every hood for proper face velocity and response when the sash is open and closed.

To ensure all fume hoods in a research laboratory have the air flow required by OSHA, it is important that sash heights/openings not exceed 50%, which is the system design limit. Opening the sash beyond 50% may continue to provide that fume hood with adequate air flow but may starve another fume hood and create an unsafe condition. Please remember to Shut the Sash when you are not using the hood. When not in use for long periods of time, i.e. overnight or weekend, place the hood controller in Setback mode, but remember to return to Normal mode when back in use.

Graduate Office

Click here to go to the Graduate Office website.

Hourly Employment

There are a number of hourly employees hired throughout the year to support teaching and research. Work study students, followed by non-work study students, are the preferred sources for hourly vacancies. You can list your opportunity directly on the student employment web site. All students, whether work study or not, must register with the Student Employment Office and obtain an authorization card prior to being hired.


Chipped ice machines for research are located in the following places:

  • Teaching lab prep corridor near C032
  • Teaching lab prep corridor near C146
  • Corridor near C315
  • Inside room A327
  • Corridor near A617

The ice is intended for research and teaching laboratory experiments only. ICE IS NOT FOR HUMAN CONSUMPTION. Ice is easily contaminated by the use of unclean scoops to fill ice containers.



To obtain keys for routine use, contact the Office Assistant in the Business Office (C115). A Key Card request, which requires an authorizing signature, must be completed prior to issuance of a key. There is no charge for any key that is issued, and all keys must be returned before departure from the department.

Issuance of a key carries the following responsibilities:

  • I will not lend it to anyone else, will not use it to admit any unauthorized person and will not permit a duplicate to be made of it.
  • I will be sure that the door which it opens is securely latched again right after use.
  • If the key is lost, I will notify the Chemistry Business Office within 24 hours.

I will return the key before leaving the university or if called upon to do so.

Laboratory Accident/Injury Report

Following an accident in a teaching or research laboratory in the Chemistry Building, a Laboratory Accident Report is required. This form should be completed whether or not there are injuries. Blank forms can be obtained from the Office Assistant in the Business Office. Completed reports signed by the primary individual/s involved in the accident and also by their supervisor should be submitted within 2 workdays to the Business Office.

Non-employee injuries should be documented on the Laboratory Accident Report form. Employee injuries must be reported on the Indiana University Occupational Injury-Illness Report form (see Worker’s Compensation) within 24 business hours of the incident.


The Head of the Chemistry Library is Jennifer Laherty. Reserves, circulation, and general matters concerning day-to-day operations are handled by Tiea Julian the Branch Coordinator. You may contact them by sending an e-mail to

The Chemistry Library is located on the ground floor in C003. Liberal hours of operation are maintained during the academic year, but holiday and summer hours will be posted as appropriate.

Liquid Nitrogen

Liquid nitrogen can be obtained from dewars located outside of Rm. A018, which is across the corridor from the Requisitioning Office (C121). There is a sign up sheet which must be filled out by each customer. First time customers should contact Chemistry Scientific Stores personnel for assistance and training.

Lost and Found

Items found in the Chemistry Department should be turned in to the Undergraduate Office in C021. For the convenience of the parties involved, the Undergraduate Office will hold such items until the end of each month. If no claim is made in that time, the item is turned over to the Lost and Found service in Ballantine Hall, Room 030, telephone 5-7372 (hours 8:30 – noon M-F).


U.S. Mail is delivered once each weekdayand campus mail is delivered twice each weekday to the Business Office. U.S. Mail issorted and placed in the mailboxes, usually by 11:30 a.m. daily. ALL NON-CHEMISTRY RELATED MAIL SHOULD BE SENT TO YOUR RESIDENCE ADDRESS.

All out-going business (non-personal) mail to be posted is to be delivered to the Business Office (C115). In the corridor just to the west of the entrance to C115 are four separate mail slots for all outgoing mail: U.S. mail to be metered, U.S. mail already metered or posted, Campus Mail, and Intradepartmental Mail. These mail slots are emptied twice each day. All outgoing U.S. mail must have the name of the sender and an account number to which the postage is to be charged (must be a non-federal account).

Outgoing personal mail cannot be accepted in the Business Office, because IU Campus Mail Services does not handle personal mail. Personal mail can be mailed in the Indiana Memorial Union (IMU), or at one of the Bloomington area post offices.

The CAMPUS mailbox is for mail which is addressed to other IU departments.

The INTRADEPARTMENTAL mailbox is for mail going to personnel within Chemistry. The box is emptied several times a day and the material in it distributed. Staples should be used to connect sheets placed in the INTRADEPARTMENTAL box in order to make sure the material doesn’t become separated accidentally. The person or office to which the material is directed should be clearly indicated.

When special delivery letters are received, the addressee will be notified by phone if possible. Otherwise, these items will be placed in the mailbox of the recipient.

UPS and Federal Express packages arrive in the loading area. They are received by the Business Office several times a day and put in the respective mailboxes.

For mail requiring special handling, Federal Express mail can be taken to the Scientific Storeroom (A031) for handling and is charged directly to an account. Additionally, The UPS Store, located in the IMU, can process mail through the U.S. Postal Service (including Priority Mail), UPS, or Federal Express. They accept cash or IU procurement cards. The UPS Store is open 8:00 to 7:00 Monday through Friday, and 12:00-4:00 Saturdays (phone 856-9070).

Mailbox Assignment

Administrative office and technical service mailboxes are located just inside the entrance to the Business Office. Graduate students, post-docs, and faculty members are assigned individual mailboxes. These are located in the corridor outside the Business Office (C115). If you experience problems with your lock, please contact the Business Office Services Assistant in the Business Office.


Elemental microanalyses may be requested from suitable commercial laboratories. Contact Susie Dumond in the Requisitioning Office (C121). She takes care of all details of sending out samples, reporting results, accounting, etc. The procedures for submitting samples are outlined below:

LABORATORIES: Vendors used frequently by the department for microanalyses are Galbraith, Oneida Research Service, Robertson Laboratory, and Atlantic Micro Lab. Microanalyses may also be sent to the University of Manchester in England.

PRICES: Price lists for common analyses are available for Galbraith, Oneida, and Robertson Laboratory.

SUBMISSION PROCEDURE: In order to facilitate submission to the correct laboratory and payment for the service, these steps are essential. The department takes no responsibility for analysis requests sent directly to an analytical laboratory by an individual researcher. On file in the Requisitioning Office are sample size and packaging guidelines for most of the laboratories. Consult with your research director on purification standards and techniques. Vials should be clean and dry, and should be labeled with the researcher’s name and/or code number and compound designation for proper identification. The following forms, available in the Requisitioning Office, must be prepared and left with the sample:

  • a completed Procurement Request
  • a completed departmental microanalysis request
  • the laboratory’s required submission request

The laboratory’s request form providing the results will be returned directly to the research group.

Office Supplies

Many office supply items (letterhead, envelopes, lined pads, and the like) are stocked in the Business Office. They may be requisitioned by faculty and staff members by completing a request form available in the In-Box on the front desk counter and filled directly from our inventory. Large quantities of an item or items not stocked by the department may be ordered from the IU supplier’s office products catalog, also available at the front desk in the Business Office.

Out of Pocket Expenses

A Disbursement Voucher (DV) is used to reimburse out of pocket expenses. Automatic Purchase Orders (APOs) are the usual means for purchasing all items under $1000. However, when small incidental items are purchased with personal funds, these out of pocket expenses can be reimbursed through a DV. Receipts containing a detailed list of the item(s) purchased, an explanation as to why a purchase order was not used, and the account number to be charged are to be submitted to Susie Dumond in the Requisitioning Office (C121). Excluded are items which are to be purchased with IU purchase orders. Sales tax cannot be reimbursed.

Parking and Decal Information

Bicycles, motor scooters, motorcycles and automobiles must be parked in designated areas on the Bloomington campus. Motor scooters and motorcycles may not be parked in spaces designated for bicycles. No vehicles of any type should be parked within or near Chemistry entrances or the courtyard adjacent to the Chemistry tower entrance/Harry Day Lecture Hall. Vehicles parked improperly will be ticketed and/or removed by Parking Operations or the IU Police Department.

Indiana University Bloomington Campus Driving and Parking Regulations determine decal eligibility. Information is available at the IU Parking Operations website (


Paycheck Schedules

There are several paycheck issuing schedules followed by Indiana University (see schedules at Direct Deposit is required. NOTE: Any pay date that is normally on the 1st where the 1st is on a weekend or holiday will move the pay date to the last workday of the previous month.


Pets are not allowed in laboratories. See IU Animals in Buildings for all other areas.


In coordination with the IU Career Development Center/College of Arts and Sciences Career Services, the Department of Chemistry helps to arrange employment interviews by company representatives. All undergraduate chemistry majors, graduate students, and postdocs are eligible to use this service. Dr. Andrea Pellerito is the departmental contact for this program. Her office is located in the Undergraduate Office (Chemistry Building, Room C021). Students may also obtain valuable career information by registering at

Radiation Badges

Researchers working with radioactive materials are required to wear badges as appropriate. Badges can be obtained through Environmental Health and Safety (5-3230). These badges are exchanged quarterly by a representative of Environmental Health and Safety at 5-8603.

Radioactive Materials

The specific procedures and regulations whereby radioactive materials may be purchased, used, and disposed of, are described in detail in a separate manual which has been prepared by the all-University committee on radioactive materials. Copies of this manual can be obtained from Dr. Greg Crouch, Campus Radiation Safety Officer, at 5-3230. He can also give you information about the time and place of the next periodic training session. Strict adherence to these procedures and regulations is a necessary requirement of the license from the Nuclear Regulatory Commission which permits our use of radioactive materials.


In order to initiate a request for a purchase for items not carried in Chemistry Scientific Stores or elsewhere on campus, a Procurement Request must be prepared and submitted to the Requisitioning Office (C121). Some important points in connection with filling out the Want Sheet are listed here:

  • Write legibly and provide complete information.
  • Be sure the Fund (account number) is correct.
  • Be sure the name and address of the “Suggested Source” are accurate and complete.
  • Be specific about catalog number, package size and number of packages, e.g., “5 bottles, 100g/bottle” or “5 x 100 grams” unless you really don’t care what size container(s) you get.
  • Equipment specifications should be the same as those used in the literature for the “preferred” or “suggested” source. In case it is necessary to obtain quotations from other sources, this indicates more closely your preference. For chemicals, one should indicate C.P., Reagent Grade, ACS Specifications, Technical, etc., even though the suggested source does not indicate such. If no substitution may be allowed on supplies, indicate so.
  • Be sure to indicate if a specific delivery date or special shipping is required.

Automated purchase orders (APO’s) are used for essentially all purchases under $1000.00. APOs enable orders to be faxed or phoned in the day they are submitted. This expedites the arrival of merchandise. There are several restricted items, which when purchased (regardless of price) must be processed through IU Purchasing. Contact Amy Van Pelt for further information.

Equipment purchases are initiated by providing a complete description and specifications to the Requisitioning Office, utilizing a Chemistry Procurement Request. It is important that the Requisitioning Office be informed at the beginning of any inquiry for the purchase of equipment. Only quotations obtained by an IU Purchasing agent can be used for vendor selection to purchase equipment. Following proper quotation procedures will expedite the ordering process and ensure best possible cost savings. It will also prevent duplicate efforts by the vendors and IU personnel. Purchase orders can only be placed by the IU Purchasing Department.

Except in unusual circumstances, after-the-fact purchase orders can not be approved. Only IU Purchasing agents are given this authority by state law. Anyone that does not follow this procedure is personally responsible for his/her actions. This also applies to verbal commitments.

INQUIRIES ABOUT ORDERS: A copy of the purchase order will be sent to the manager of the account on which the order was submitted. The purchase order should be checked against the submitted want sheet for accuracy and the Requisitioning Office should be notified immediately if an error has been made. Under no circumstances should anyone except the Requisitioning Office personnel attempt to correct or change an order. All items received are checked against the purchase orders. Order changes made by people other than these individuals may result in a difference between the requisition and the item received, and the Requisitioning Office will return the item to the vendor as incorrect.

The requisition copy should be referred to before inquiries are made about deliveries. First, be positive that enough time has passed to warrant an inquiry. One must provide the account number, requisition number, purchase order number if known, and a concise statement of the problem or the information needed. It is preferred that such inquiries be made in memo form. With approximately 1,000 open orders against any of the nearly 150 account numbers at any given time, the Requisitioning Office personnel are hard pressed to locate orders with any less information. It should also be remembered that INQUIRIES SHOULD BE MADE ONLY WHEN A PROBLEM IS SUSPECTED AND NOT AS A MATTER OF ROUTINE, SINCE TIME SPENT TRACING ORDERS LEAVES LESS TIME AVAILABLE FOR PLACING NEW ORDERS.

RETURN OF ORDERS: If it is necessary to return any item that was acquired on an Indiana University purchase order, THE REQUISITIONING OFFICE MUST HANDLE THE ENTIRE PROCESS. Complete records must be kept of information like the date, means, and reason for the return, original order number, invoice number and the like. Incomplete records can result in lost shipments, exorbitant charges, and any of a number of problems that may take weeks of effort to correct. In all cases, however trivial they may seem, the Requisitioning Office MUST handle all returns.

Room Reservations

There are six meeting rooms available for Chemistry use: C127 (Faculty Lounge), C225 (the Physical Chemistry Conference Room), C311 and A300 (Organic Lecture Rooms), A400 (StereoView Room), and A500 (the Biochemistry Conference Room). All meeting rooms are available on a first-priority basis to the respective discipline, except A400 which is available for anyone’s use, and C127, which is reserved every weekday from 8:00 a.m. to noon for Staff and Faculty coffee breaks (8:00-10:30 a.m. for Staff and 10:30 a.m.-12:00 noon for Faculty). C127 is also reserved from 12:00 noon to 1:00 p.m. for Staff lunches every weekday. All reservations for these meeting rooms, regardless of purpose, should be made through the Business Office (6-2296).

View room details here.

Room A400 is equipped for videoconferencing . Reservations for the room itself should be made through the Business Office Services Assistant in the Business Office, rm C115.

Additionally there are three classrooms in the Chemistry Building: C001 (capacity 99), C033 (capacity 130) and C122 (capacity 350). Reservations for any Chemistry classroom are handled through the Undergraduate Office (Becky Wilson at 5-2254).

If you have Microsoft Outlook on your computer, you can check the schedule for availability and send an electronic request for a room reservation. The procedures follow:

  1. Open your CALENDAR in Outlook
  2. Pull down the menu under “FILE” and select “NEW,” then “APPOINTMENT”
  4. In the “ALL ATTENDEES” column, type in all capital letters the exact phrasing of the room you’re requesting and press <ENTER>:
    • CHEM-CH122
    • CHEM-C127
    • CHEM-A300
    • CHEM-CH033
    • CHEM-C225
    • CHEM-A400
    • CHEM-CH001
    • CHEM-C311
    • CHEM-A500
  5. You can see whether the room is busy or not by looking at the blue bars across from the room number
  6. Click on “APPOINTMENT” near the top of the window
  7. Type information into the “SUBJECT” line (required)
  8. Choose “SEND” or “SAVE AND CLOSE”

Your request will automatically be sent to chembiz for their approval or disapproval. Your room reservation will not be final until you receive an email back from either of them with their confirmation of your room reservation.

Scientific Stores

The Storeroom is located in the south wing of the ground floor in the A031 complex. Amy Van Pelt manages the Storeroom and maintains a stock of the commonly used chemicals and supplies required for teaching laboratories and research.

To obtain materials from the Storeroom, the purchaser must use a credit card. An “Authorization for Issuance of a Department of Chemistry Credit Card” can be obtained from the Storeroom office.

Items carried and units of quantity available are listed in the Chemistry Stores Catalog.

Security and Theft

The only way to maintain security is through the use of locks and controlled issuance of keys to the locked areas. Laboratories and offices should be kept locked except when someone is present. Purses, radios, books, calculators and other valuable items have been stolen, because individuals have carelessly left laboratories and offices unlocked.

All bonafide graduate students, postdocs, and regularly appointed staff will be issued keys to their assigned laboratories or offices. When leaving any research area, do not assume the door will close tightly. Check to be certain it is closed and locked. Do not borrow equipment from departmental or private research areas or shops without consent of the supervisor or controller. Irretrievable hours of searching and false theft reports result from thoughtless borrowing.

Supplies and Purchases (General)

The Chemistry Scientific Storeroom, located in the south wing of the ground floor, carries chemicals and supplies required routinely for teaching and research laboratories. Administrative supplies such as pens, pencils, and paper are stocked in the Business Office or can be ordered from the IU supplier’s office products catalog. Items costing less than $25 per receipt can be purchased from Bloomington merchants. Individuals with proper receipts will be reimbursed from the Requisitioning Office. Selected supplies can be purchased from the IU Bookstore at a cost lower than that paid by regular customers. Orders for all other items should be placed through the Chemistry Requisitioning Office for items not available by any other means. Each of these methods has unique procedures and policies that must be followed in order to comply with Indiana State purchasing laws.

For more detailed information about these topics refer to:


The Chemistry Building contains a large network of telephones, including at least one telephone in the corridor of all floors. These telephones are primarily intended for emergency use, and non-emergency calls should be immediately terminated if an emergency arises.

Long distance and directory assistance calls must be placed using a billing number. Toll free numbers, calling card calls and collect calls can be made directly without use of this billing number. Long distance billing numbers are assigned by Communications Services/UITS, but are coordinated by Gayla Bradfield in the Business Office. Graduate students and postdocs must get approval, as well as an account number, from their faculty advisors. If it is necessary to make a personal call from a university telephone, it should be billed to your personal calling card.

Repairs, additional services or changes in existing services can be requested through Gayla Bradfield in the Business Office (5-9044).

Data jacks are activated by a request to Gayla Bradfield that must include the jack ID number (available on the wall plate) and an account number.

Termination Procedure

Whenever a staff member, graduate student, or postdoc terminates his/her official relationship with the Chemistry Department, a termination procedure should be followed. A check out sheet can be picked up from the Office Assistant in the Business Office and should be returned to her when completed.

  • Researchers should clean up equipment and work areas to the satisfaction of their research supervisor. Excess chemicals should be turned in according to disposal procedures or arrangements made to either donate them to the department or give them to another research group.
  • All Chemistry Scientific Stores credit cards must be turned in to the Storeroom Manager and accounts cleared.
  • All Library books must be returned.
  • All teaching material on loan from the Undergraduate Office must be returned.
  • Confirm with the payroll clerk the status of your appointment and last paycheck.
  • All building keys should be returned and a forwarding address provided.


Click here to for travel information and forms

Undergraduate Office

Click here to go to the Undergraduate website.

Union Representation

All support staff (formerly clerical and technical employees) at Indiana University are represented by CWA (Communications Workers of America Local 4730). CWA Local 4730 aims to improve the standard of living for current and future support staff at IU, to aid workers in legitimate grievances against their employer, to organize workers, and to begin reaping the benefits of collective bargaining. Contracts are regularly negotiated between Indiana University and the workers represented by CWA Local 4730. Dues are equivalent to 2 hours of pay per month. Membership is optional; however, only members are eligible to partake in local elections and to vote to ratify or reject contracts. Several other benefit programs are also available to members only. These programs include discounts at local and national retail stores, discounted legal service and prescription drugs, low rate personal loans and mortgages, low interest rate credit cards, life insurance and a motor club/preferred car care system. If you have any questions concerning CWA or would like to become a CWA Local 4730 member, please email Stacy Felton at

Procurement Request

Click here for the online Procurement Request.

Worker’s Compensation

Worker’s Compensation is determined by state law and is intended as a protection for IU employees. The law states that an injury or illness must arise out of and in the course of employment. Anyone injured on the job is covered, without regard to who is at fault. All IU employees who receive a pay check are eligible for coverage, including payment of medical expenses and part of lost wages (if applicable). This does not cover undergraduate students injured in a lab class – see Laboratory Accident Report, nor does it cover a graduate student on a fellowship. Fellowship recipients are not considered to be employees of the University, so separate health insurance should be sought.

All on-the-job injuries must be reported expeditiously in order to preserve eligibility for reimbursement and permit investigation of injuries as appropriate. It is essential that the following steps be followed:

Report any on-the-job injury to your supervisor as soon as possible, even though you may not think you need immediate medical attention.

An Occupational Injury/Illness Report form, available from Gayla Bradfield and the Office Assistant in the Business Office, must be completed, signed, and submitted to the Chemistry Business Office within 8 working hours. A claim may be denied if this is not done. It is important to document all injuries in order to be able to substantiate a claim for medical treatment that may arise at a later date.

If it is necessary to obtain medical treatment, ALL employees are required to go to Promptcare/Bloomington Hospital Center for Occupational Health (BHCOH) at 326 Woodcrest Drive (the corner of East Third St. and Woodscrest Dr.). Normal service hours are 8:00 am – 8:00 pm seven days a week. If they are closed or the injury is too serious (chemical spill in eye(s), bone fracture, head injury, chemical burns that do not stop burning after rinsing, and the like) go directly to the Bloomington Hospital Emergency Room. If you need an ambulance, call 911 (or call 5-4111 for IUPD). Tell the health care provider the expenses are covered by IU Worker’s Compensation. All medical bills that you receive directly should be forwarded to the Worker’s Compensation office on campus, Poplars 705.